Thursday, November 27, 2008

Rest in Peace, everyone.

hmm... How do i begin this post? Nothing special really happened, except that I've buried three bodies for the past 3o days. Seriously, BODIES, as in dead. And they're very close to me.

Faiz is a dear friend that I've known since secondary school. He is the same age as me, and we grow into adulthood togather. Sort of the kind of person who you have all the adventures togather. In fact, we had plenty of adventures. And when we get both married, we're both sorta drift apart. Nothing negatives. Just everybody have their own priorities. In this, I don't consider him as a close friend, as in "kawan karib", but as a good friend, as in "sahabat yang setia". Off course he is not perfect, and we had disagreement and what-should-not-be-mentioned-anymore, but most of the time, he was a good friend. He told me what he don't like about me, or anything around me, or something... and at the same time expect me not to have hard feelings about it. At the same time, he expects the same from me. All the usual stuffs: loyalty; sincerety; etc, etc, are just academics. At least this is what I think he expects from our friendship. [FAIZ GHAZALI, 1976-2008]

The day before Faiz, was To'Ki.

To'Ki was another person. Not really a friend, but still someone who is dear to who I consider dear. He is the grandfather for my wife. And of course, the great grand father for my kids. Being an old-school, british-era, ex-prison guard, made him a different person that i have ever met in my life. Strict, but loving. Straight to the point, no nonsense kind of guy. He is the person who is confident about himself and takes no bullshit from others. The thing I remember most about him, is the pose that he gave during our wedding ceremony. [To'Ki: MOHD.ZAIN 1910's-2008]

Another person, of whom I dont really knows.. not really a complete stranger, but... he's the husband to the sister of my grandmother. What's the big deal? Well, my grandmother passed away about 10 years ago. And her sister, about 3-4 years ago. Not sure how old he is, but he should be sligtly younger than To'Ki when he passed away.

And I helped bury all of them. Helped in the sense that you have to carry the body into the grave. No equipment or wall or casket between us, except the kain kapan - loincloth that wrap the body. Nothing special, nothing to boast about. In fact, I don't feel good about doing it all. But it is a responsibility and an obligation that I would repeat without any hesitation. Again, and again. Hopefully, when the time comes, someone would gladly do the same for me.

No comments: